Diabetes is one of the most rapidly growing diseases in the world today. It is not only costly and debilitating, but deadly as well. Statistics on this disease are sobering indeed.
However, a newly released study released by Harvard researchers reveals that it is never too late to lower your risk of diabetes by implementing a few simple lifestyle changes! The study examined 4,883 men and women 65 years or older for 10 years. What were those factors?
- Being physically active
- Eating a healthy diet (high fiber intake, low saturated fat and trans-fat intake)
- Never smoked or quit for more than 20 years
- A slim waistline not greater than 34.6 inches (88 cm) for women and 36.2 inches (92 cm) for men
- A body mass index (BMI) less than 25
- Minimal or no alcohol use